Facilities & Locations
Higuchi Family Residence Nagano City Cultural Heritage
See how high-ranking samurai lived
- 15 min
Located near Matsushiro Castle, this area of the castle town was where the high-ranking samurai lived.
The house has a thatched roof, and half of the 2,131 m² property is a vegetable garden used for growing vegetables for the household.
The garden is now a bamboo forest.
This building was used as government housing for officials and it has been moved before.
Higuchi was a high-ranking samurai, who worked as an inspector in the Matsushiro Domain. The Higuchi clan moved here in 1765, but the house became the property of Nagano City and parts were renovated and rebuilt. The house has been open to the public since 2010.
202-1 Matsushiro, Matsushiro-machi, Nagano
- 9:00–17:00 (Last entry 16:30)
- Generally open year-round
Access ・ Parking lot
- Public transportation
30 min from Nagano Station’s Zenkoji exit.
Board the Alpico Bus (No. 30) bound for Matsushiro at boarding point #3.
Get off at the Hachijuni Ginko bus stop and walk 3 min.
- Private vehicle
- 10 min from the Nagano Interchange
- Sananda Treasures Museum Parking
Lot: 3 large-size buses and around 70 regular vehicles
Municipal parking lot
(5 min walk to the Higuchi Family Residence)
Lot: 7 large-size buses and around 23 regular vehicles
- Multipurpose toilet
Accessible parking spaces:
Former Higuchi Family Residence: 1
Front of the Sananda Treasures Museum: 1
Municipal parking lot: 2
Former Shirai Family Residence Front Gate: 1