Facilities & Locations
Matsushiro Castle Ruins National Historic Site
Traces of natural fortifications and the domains’ palace
- 15 min
Matsushiro Castle was built in the middle of the 16th century. Built so that the Chikuma River flowing on the north side would serve as a moat, it became the stage of a major battle, the Battle of Kawanakajima.
After a change of castle lords, Nobuyuki Sanada moved from Ueda Castle to Matsushiro Castle in 1622. Ten generations of the Sanada clan lived there for about 250 years until it was destroyed in 1871.
After that, only the stone walls remained until 2004, when the gate and bridge were rebuilt and restored to their original states.
44 Matsushiro, Matsushiro-machi, Nagano
- Generally open time-round
- Dec. 29 – Jan. 3
Access ・ Parking lot
- Public transportation
30 min from Nagano Station’s Zenkoji exit.
Board the Alpico Bus (No. 30) bound for Matsushiro at boarding point #3.
Get off at the Matsushiro-eki stop and walk 5 min.
- Private vehicle
- 10 min from the Nagano Interchange
- Lot: 7 large-size buses and around 23 regular vehicles
Matsushiro Castle North Parking Lot
(5 min walk to the Castle Ruins)
Lot: 10 large-size buses and around 60 regular vehicles
- Multipurpose toilet
Accessible parking spaces:
Front of the Sananda Treasures Museum: 1
Municipal parking lot: 2
Matsushiro Castle North Parking Lot: 2